Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Still not buying this coupon thing?

If saving money was easy as 1-2-3 everyone would do it.  Does saving money require work? YES.. Is it easy? Not always!  Is it worth it?  YES!                            

How can you distress saving money? Get Organized!

When I sit down with women to show them how to slash their grocery bills I always start with MAKE A PLAN!  Don't let saving money consume or overwhelm you.  If it does you will quit and there is no savings in quitting.  Pick one area in your life and start there.  I started with my household items.  I was more willing to be flexible with my household products than I was with the food we eat.   Take a month find a coupon system that works with your life and apply to your shopping habits.   Focus only on the one area in your life that you want to save the most in.  Don't think you have to score every deal that is out there.  More will come around....baby steps. 


Why I only post current coupons and printables?
I try to show the basics of couponing to make it easier for new couponers to jump on board.  I would get so frustrated when I would see a great deal posted some where and than realize the coupon was 2 months old.  Ugh! Who keeps a coupon that long!  If you follow the blog and the bonus tips I post you will learn how to save big matching the coupons you have plus the items on sale.   I found the quickest way to build your coupon stash was to print only the coupons you will use.  I try to mix both Sunday paper coupons with printables to make jumping on board easy.

Still not buying this coupon thing?? Here are some ways to save money without clipping coupons. 
Check the Sales Ad:
I have been checking the Ad's for meat or other dinner type items that are on sale and basing my meals on what is on sale.  If you go shopping once every two weeks base your meals on the meats on sale the week you go shopping (unless you have a stockpile of meat)

Shop your cabinets first:
I always take a pen and paper and write down the staple, filler, and dinner items I already have.  Maybe I have meat I got on mark down last week or I scored a great deal on bell peppers.  See what you have and plan accordingly

Meal planning:
I hear from readers this is the HARDEST part.  Before I even step foot into a store I make a "Dinner list"  I come up with about 14 meals 7 super easy and 7 others.  Plus always have default meals Sandwiches/Salad, Spaghetti, Breakfast for dinner, etc.  Just in case the world falls out and I am in survival mode!  If you find you go to the store once a week and you like that than plan a weeks worth of meals.  For me I know I can make it once every 2 weeks. 
If you don't have a plan you will end up running to the store for little things here and there which will break the bank!


Check your cabinets AGAIN!:
I can't even tell you how many things of chili powder I had before I started doing this!  I was overloaded on spices.  If you don't always use a specific spice you forget quickly that you already have it.  Once you make a grocery list, scan your cabinets to make sure that you aren't buy ANOTHER can of tomato sauce to add to your collection of 20 other cans.  Also double check cereals, peanut butter, jelly, butter, milk, sliced cheese, staple items like that.  Check the lunch menu to see how many lunches you need to pack.  Do you have Juice boxes?  Bread? Veggies/ Fruit?

Shop the mark down:
Every time I go to Save Mart I check their mark down fruits and veggies.  I usually get Bell Peppers 4-5 for $.69 or 6 Zucchini's for $.65.  I will wash them when I get home slice them and freeze them until I need them.
Also check out the mark down meats.  These are meats that need to be froze within a few days.  No you're not going to get sick! They are just meats that need to be frozen "fresh" meats can only be stored at refrigerator temps for so long before they need to be frozen.   That Simple!

Be flexible with where you shop:
I've said it before and I will say it again!  Don't discount a store just because its a discount store.  I hear over and over AND OVER again.  Oh GROSS! I won't shop there.  Really?  You can't figure out how to deal with it for a quick trip some place to save $100's of dollars? YES $100's!  I have shared before how I switched from WinCo to Foods Co and saved $80 without even clipping one coupon! When our grandparents were young they would have never been as picky as our genteration is about where they shopped.  In the depression people would do just about anything for food at a discounted price.  With the economy showing no signs of picking up and food cost on the rise again how much longer can your budget stand the $20 increase every time you step foot into a store our generation needs to save where we can because we never know if/when you can be laid off, have a sick kid, or a decrease in pay.  In my home we had pay decrease and both my husband and I weren't through major medical issues, Yet we continue to live the same way if not better now that I have become more flexible.  Yes I understand the thought of stomaching a Walmart store to some isn't worth the savings.  I challenge you to try it!  Just one trip.  Plus once you get a small stockpile of things you will see you only have to stomach places like Walmart or Foods Co once a month.. However see if the giddy feeling you feel after saving all that money doesn't override the feeling of disgust.  Scared of germs? put baby wipes, hand sanitizers, or cleaning wipes in your car or purse.  Wipe the cart down before you use it.  When you walk out with a big smile on your face it from the savings it will totally be worth they cold you just got from shopping there...........KIDDING! :-)

Shopping with kids or hungry:
Always keep snacks in your purse or car.  I can't imagine how much money I have spent grabbing quick snacks for myself or my boys.  Not only are they usually unhealthy they are over price.   Also pack something fun for the kiddos to do while you shop.  If you don't have kids crying or begging for things your likely going to spend less.  Got older kids? Let them help!  My older boys keep a look out for "Close out" saving tabs.  My younger boys help count boxes, bag fruits and veggies, and play ispy. 

BONUS:
Keep a list of standard items you buy, type them up on the computer and each time you go shopping print it out and check off what you need this will emlinate running to the store and spending $50 on milk.....Because we all know we can't JUST get milk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment